Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Belated Update

Remember this post? I was so proud of myself for figuring out what my son is allergic to that I couldn't wait to share it with the blog world, and I put up that post the next day.

In contrast, it's taken me almost two years to get around to writing this post...yes, this one. The "I-was-only-partly-right-which-also-means-I-was-partly-wrong" post. It's been a little bit harder (for my pride, among other things) to find the time to write this one, and it would have been a lot of work to go back and edit the other. (Although if I had rewritten it, I wouldn't have to admit that I was wrong...Ah ha! That's it! I'm writing this post because I'm honest. NOT because I'm lazy. Yep. That's the motivation behind this. I'm glad we cleared that up. Now, moving on...)

Not long after posting "Grandma Was Onto Something" I discovered that there was much more to Mr. Adorable's allergy than to just the bran of the wheat tribe Triticeae. Such a painful discovery for him; such a humbling discovery for me.

My laziness played a key part in the discovery. After concluding that it was the Triticeae wheat bran that was the issue, I quit soaking the oatmeal we were eating almost daily for breakfast. Suddenly, Mr. Adorable began having allergic reactions almost daily again. I was more than a little confused. Oatmeal doesn't have the Triticeae bran in it, so by my calculations it should have been safe for him to eat.

Until I realized that they had something very basic in common. Phytic acid.

And that's a whole 'nother issue entirely...and it'll have to wait until another blog post.

Because it gets worse...

No comments: